Inspirational Saying

In the corner of my garden, Where the wildflowers grow,
I sit and I admire, How God has graced us so.

Nov 30, 2011

Rope Bed

I bought this old rope bed about 6 months ago at an auction. No one wanted it, it was loose in places and there were no side rails. I wondered if it could be made into a reg bed or maybe one of the benches hubby was always making out of twin headboards and foot boards. Well last weekend we drug it out from the corner designated  "things to be done"  and decided it was time to do something with it. Here are a few steps we took to finished project.  Hubby replaced the rollers on the bottom of the posts, they were so rusted and corroded that they fell apart just touching them. I researched the rope bed and found it is app. 1800-early 1900 era. Cool. I like that. I wanted to stay with the era if I could. I had been flipping through the Country Sampler mag and found a bed similar to it that had wide side rails. I took it to hubby and said this would look great and the same time period for the bed. I asked him to drill holes in the side rails like the photo also so I could run a rope in and out of it to look as if the mattress is setting on the ropes. I then painted the bed with a satin black that has the primer in it I bought from Menard's. It didn't need a second coat, I had covered it pretty good with just the first one. I still have to distressed the bed, hubby needs to put slats across the bed to hold the box spring and mattress and this weekend I will post the finished product. I hope you like the way it looks so far. 
Christie






Here is the finished project. Hope you like it.




3 comments:

  1. Oh I do, I do love it! Great job!!!! I LOVE projects like this because it would have been probably thrown away and you saved it. Just LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rose! I fell in love with this bed the day I saw it.
    christie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, wow, wow...your husband does a great job on his woodworking.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Indiana, United States
I am 55 years old, a homemaker and a mother of two wonderful children. A daughter named Toby who is 36 and a son named Jesse who is 33. I am a Mammaw of four of the best grandbabies I could ever ask for. AJ age 8, Kylie age 7, Bradley age 6 and Gracie age 5. I have been happily married to my hubby Jim for 6 wonderful years. We are all happy and healthy, and we are all blessed. I was born a hillbilly but raised as a hoosier most of my life. I love bluegrass music and decorating our home with primitives. Come on in and sit a spell and enjoy a tour of our home. I hope you find something that will inspire the primitive decorator in you.

Followers