Inspirational Saying

In the corner of my garden, Where the wildflowers grow,
I sit and I admire, How God has graced us so.

May 6, 2011

Painting Silverware

When we moved into this house almost 3 years ago, there were no knobs or handles on the drawers or doors in the kitchen. I saw at Menard's they had some cute pulls and knobs that looked like silverware. They cost $12.00 each. Nope, I knew I could make them cheaper. I went to an auction and bought a box of silverware for about $6.00. Last year hubby drilled holes in them and put the on the cabinets. I didn't want to put them back on this year, I just didn't like the silver look. I wanted to put them in the garage sale box. Hubby said, try painting them first. See if you like them. So I went to Walmart and I bought this kit that makes metal look like it is rusted. They have a big variety of different kits there to make things look like stone, marble, cracked.... on and on. Anyway I thought rusty would look good with black. You first spray the first coat onto the silverware. You only need to do the fronts, no one will see the back of the silverware. Let it dry then uses a paper towel and just dab it onto the silverware. Let it dry and wow. Next do the screws that you will attach them to do door or drawer with. Remember, only do the head of the screws. If you do the bottoms, they won't screw into the wood very good. I used a piece of cardboard. Pushed the screws threw it, then sprayed the heads, let dry, then dab the second color on lightly. If you do this, e-mail me and let me know how you like it.
christie



Silverware before painting

Silverware after painting rusty color treatment

Screws pushed into cardboard to protect threads from paint
 

First coat sprayed on

Second coat dabbed on with paper towel

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Indiana, United States
I am 55 years old, a homemaker and a mother of two wonderful children. A daughter named Toby who is 36 and a son named Jesse who is 33. I am a Mammaw of four of the best grandbabies I could ever ask for. AJ age 8, Kylie age 7, Bradley age 6 and Gracie age 5. I have been happily married to my hubby Jim for 6 wonderful years. We are all happy and healthy, and we are all blessed. I was born a hillbilly but raised as a hoosier most of my life. I love bluegrass music and decorating our home with primitives. Come on in and sit a spell and enjoy a tour of our home. I hope you find something that will inspire the primitive decorator in you.

Followers