Inspirational Saying

In the corner of my garden, Where the wildflowers grow,
I sit and I admire, How God has graced us so.

Feb 8, 2011

Antique Funnel Chandalier

I just wanted to share a project hubby and I just finished last week. I bought this old rusty grain or milk funnel at an auction a year ago and I told hubby if we turned it upside down it could make a great hanging light in the kitchen over the kitchen island. So we searched and searched to find things at garage sales and the Goodwill until we came up with all the items we needed to turn it into a light.  My hubby is the best, no matter what idea I throw at him, he seems to be able to make it. That is why we love doing things together. We both love taking the time to do things no one else has done or finding something we see we like and making one with a twist. It didn't cost much to make this chandalier, so it is one of a kind. Including buying the funnel, it prob cost me around $20.00 to make. When I saw that old funnel at the auction, the idea just popped into my head and it turned out great. Here is the finished project and oh how I do love it! One day I may sell it and make a good profit. We usually do! So anyway, I will try to explain how we made the light the best way I can.

First, pick out some sort of antique funnel at a thrift store, flea market or maybe an auction. I found mine at an auction for $12.50. I go to all three places and sometimes I find things and sometimes I don't. It is the thrill of the hunt I think I am addicted to! You will need some type of  lampshade frame. I found mine at a garage sale for about $2.00. Next you will need an old floor lamp. I found mine at the Goodwill for about $6.00.





Now, the floor lamp pole is usually two pieces. Unscrew them and set aside one, you don't need it. You want to shorten the length. Our floor lamp had a weight in the bottom to make sure the lamp did not topple over. Turn your floor lamp upside down and unscrew the bottom and remove the weight. You don't want it. Next take the top shade off the lamp. You just need the section where the light bulb goes into it. While you have it apart, paint it the color you want.








Then when you are ready, slip the lampshade frame over the pole so it rests on the area where the light bulb goes into it. Then put the funnel over the lampshade frame. The frame keeps the funnel from touching the light bulb so it won't get hot. Like me, you prob want to put some kind of decoration on it and you don't want anything that may get too hot and cause a fire. Always safety first. Next screw pole onto the bottom which will be attached to your ceiling and wired into the electric box. Very simple. If you want, you can buy any of this online  but they can get costly and not as much fun as giving yourself an excuse to go hunting. If you have any questions, e-mail me at countrygirl5275@yahoo.com and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
christie


  












5 comments:

  1. Well isn't that adorable! Good job!

    Carmen and the Primcats

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Christie. I Love it! You two do good work!

    Josie -- Royal Oak MI

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings from Southern California.

    I added myself to follow your blog.
    You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You, ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings from Northern California:

    I also became a follower and here's a comment for you: I love your new chandelier...I love how you used all those parts. Spectacular!
    I just found you on CS forum. Love your house and the curtains.
    Please visit my blog: http://theoldefarmhouse.blogspot.com and leave a comment if you choose. I LOVE COMMENTS AND FOLLOWERS
    Prim Hugs, Joy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, I will try to visit you often. I hope I inspire others to try new things.
    christie

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Indiana, United States
I am 55 years old, a homemaker and a mother of two wonderful children. A daughter named Toby who is 36 and a son named Jesse who is 33. I am a Mammaw of four of the best grandbabies I could ever ask for. AJ age 8, Kylie age 7, Bradley age 6 and Gracie age 5. I have been happily married to my hubby Jim for 6 wonderful years. We are all happy and healthy, and we are all blessed. I was born a hillbilly but raised as a hoosier most of my life. I love bluegrass music and decorating our home with primitives. Come on in and sit a spell and enjoy a tour of our home. I hope you find something that will inspire the primitive decorator in you.

Followers