Inspirational Saying

In the corner of my garden, Where the wildflowers grow,
I sit and I admire, How God has graced us so.

Apr 23, 2010

Gourd Bird Houses

I thought I would give you some ideas on how to create bird houses from gourds. Last fall I bought boxes and boxes of dried gourds from an auction with the intention of making bird houses. Well, I finally got around to starting them. I had a friend over and we worked for a few days to get a couple of boxes started on. Most did not need any sanding but a few had scales and needed a light cleaning. Here is a sample of how and what we created. I cut with a drimmel, holes big enough for birds to enter and exit the gourd easily. Next I cut two small holes in the top of the gourd on opposite sides so I could put a string through it to hang the gourds. You couldn't get the string to go through one hole and out the other because no matter how hard I tried I couldn't make perfect matches. Also sometimes there were seeds in the way that Linda couldn't get out, so I made a hook bent at one end with a long handle so I could push the hook threw the first hole, out the next, grab the string and pull back threw and out. Linda, my friend, gutted out the seeds from the enter and exit holes after I was done cutting the holes and stringing. She then painted each gourd. We decided that the easiest and fastest drying paint would be spray cans. Great colors and low cost of around $1.00 a can. It did quite a few gourds. We went to the Everything Is A Dollar store and bought lots of things including the faces! After they dried we used our imagination and look what we came up with. We were tired, but we had a blast!   Give it a try. Send me a photo of one you get done so I can see what you came up with!!!
Christie





2 comments:

  1. Nice job and looks like you girls had a lot of fun with these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bet Tracey, we had lots of fun! The weather was great. The sun was shining and it was about 70*. The hardest thing we had to do that day was fight off those awful wood bees. My friend Linda,made one mad and we both almost fell running from it. I can laugh now, but it wasn't funny then!
    April 24, 2010 8:10 PM

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Indiana, United States
I am 55 years old, a homemaker and a mother of two wonderful children. A daughter named Toby who is 36 and a son named Jesse who is 33. I am a Mammaw of four of the best grandbabies I could ever ask for. AJ age 8, Kylie age 7, Bradley age 6 and Gracie age 5. I have been happily married to my hubby Jim for 6 wonderful years. We are all happy and healthy, and we are all blessed. I was born a hillbilly but raised as a hoosier most of my life. I love bluegrass music and decorating our home with primitives. Come on in and sit a spell and enjoy a tour of our home. I hope you find something that will inspire the primitive decorator in you.

Followers