Inspirational Saying

In the corner of my garden, Where the wildflowers grow,
I sit and I admire, How God has graced us so.

Feb 24, 2010

Mixing White Primmer and Black Satin Paint

Here is a tip I discovered this week. My daughter-in-law is always just throwing paint and what have ya together and coming out with some great looking painted items. Well this weekend my husband made a bench out of an old headboard and footboard I bought at a auction last summer. I had some old black paint and I thought hmmm wonder if I can mix primmer with black satin paint and not have to use white primmer which I hate. If you sand down after using white primmer, it always shows threw and then I have to work at covering up that white. So anyway, I mixed the two and tried painting with a small 1 inch brush on the bench. Wow. It looked like silk. It is a dark grey. I haven't gotten the coat of black on it yet, I am still working on that darn musty smelling wardrobe I have in my bedroom. As soon as I get it done I will show you. It saved me a step ( primming after lightly sanding a varnished surface). I am amazed that there are no brush marks. Just thought I would give a tip on how to save a step for all of you furniture painters like me.

christie

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for commenting on my blog, Christie - I love your pictures, and lol, you're right - I need to go shopping! I told hubby that and he said, "ask for donations"! I love what you do with our window treatments, and how you brought the rust/red (can't tell by the pic) into the green master bedroom - that just warms that green up so nicely. I definately think that's what I need to do in the dining room.
    Thanks for all your help - your home is beautiful!
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tracey. Be sure to post photos so we call all see what you decided on. I'm sure it will look great. Have confidence in yourself.
    Christie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the paint tip. Even after 35 years of working with finishes of all kinds I am still looking for new things to try. Let me know how it works out.

    -Rory-

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that house. Since I will never be that lucky to find one, I think I will make one.LOL Thanks for the idea, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your welcome Valerie, I like to post things on here and maybe give someone else an idea they may enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Indiana, United States
I am 55 years old, a homemaker and a mother of two wonderful children. A daughter named Toby who is 36 and a son named Jesse who is 33. I am a Mammaw of four of the best grandbabies I could ever ask for. AJ age 8, Kylie age 7, Bradley age 6 and Gracie age 5. I have been happily married to my hubby Jim for 6 wonderful years. We are all happy and healthy, and we are all blessed. I was born a hillbilly but raised as a hoosier most of my life. I love bluegrass music and decorating our home with primitives. Come on in and sit a spell and enjoy a tour of our home. I hope you find something that will inspire the primitive decorator in you.

Followers